Friday, November 25, 2011

First Pastor Wives' Retreat of Choluteca






On Nov 11 six Pastor Wives, Egla, our amazing translator and I got together in a local resturant to share in fellowship of games, songs, lunch, and God's Word. As with most times when you are trying to do God's will, Satan is really close by to tear you down. My dear precious husband, Mike, Egla and I headed to the restuarant around 8:45 a few minutes before the ladies were to arrive to set up our room. There was no one in the restaurant but a security guard and he had no idea what we were talking about. I thought to myself, I have 6 ladies coming in about fifteen minutes and I have no where for them to meet. (And the bible study was on joy in all circumstances). We asked them to please call the restaurant manager because we were in their books for this day. It never happened so we found another restaurant to accomadate us and off we went. Mike stood outside the restaurant who did not steal my joy that day directing the ladies to the new location. We started out with a game called the Name Tag Game. The ladies wrote their name on a name tag put in it a hat and then pulled out a different name tag and wore it during the morning. If you said the lady's real name you gave her your name tag. The lady with the most name tags at the end of the morning won a door prize. Well needless to say I lost out in the very beginning when I asked Egla was she ready to start with the ice breaker game. There was a gift bag with lotion and perfume that got passed around after each question was asked. Whoever had the answer got the bag and when we got to the last question the lady with the bag was the winner. We sang some traditional Honduran hymns. I opened with prayer then followed with the sharing of my personal testimony. Through laughter and tears I shared with the ladies I have been through trials and tribulations just like them. But with the strength I receive from God through his Son, Jesus Christ, I like them can overcome any obstacles which pass our way. Before starting the study I said a huge thank you to all the people who made this possible. I taught a group of ladies bible study in my home for fifteen years. I shared with them my dream of leading a Pastor Wives' Retreat one day. They help provide the gifts, the games and whatever else I needed. There were others who also donated items to make this day happen. Thank you to all of you who made this day a very special one for my new sisters in Christ. My Honduran sisters were very blessed that day. Several weeks before I handed out the bible study on JOY. I asked the ladies to come prepare to share and discuss the study. They each came ready to share in God's word. We shared and discussed the Joy found in John 15 and in the life of Elijah when the famine came. And the beautiful story of Ruth and Naomi. There is so much pleasure in sharing God's word especially the topic of Joy. We all came to the conclusion at the end of the day the only JOY you can truly have is found in Jesus Christ. Without Jesus Christ and a personal realtionship with Him there is never true joy. There maybe happiness but that is not anything compared to the joy found in Jesus Christ. The world cannot provide you with joy. Stuff will not do it. It may for a short time. But when you have that most intimate relationship with Jesus you will find all the JOY you need in his presence. "If you have lost your joy, it's right where you left it - in HIS PRESENCE."

"You have made know to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." Psalm 16:11

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment