Saturday, June 30, 2018

Fried Okra Anyone?


I was sitting on the bench with the water coolers watching the activities going on around me snapping a few pictures here and there.  But God spoke ever so gently go check on the ladies in the kitchen.  They were frying up fish.  First I went to just get my pictures of them preparing the fish in their beautiful quant little outdoor kitchen area.  I simply love to check out their kitchens.  They are indescribably beautiful in every way. This particular kitchen looked out over rolling mountains.  So each day these ladies make their tortillas, cook their beans and rice, they are able to enjoy God's creation right out there back yard.
So as you can see I took some fish pictures.  Then one of the sisters came out with some fresh okra.  Yes beautiful green fresh okra.  The sisters along with Gloria work in the okra field and had picked some for the fish lunch that day.  The interesting part of how this story will turn is they eat it raw.  They had never had fried okra before.  I shared with them I did not understand they had never had fried okra when they fry a lot of their foods.  This is where God has a huge sense of humor.  I taught the Honduran ladies how to fry okra.  Now if you are reading this today and do not know me.  I do not cook much at all. My husband Mike does all the cooking.  But I am telling you this was the very best time I have had in a very long time.  Kaylee and Holly from the team came over to help me by cutting up the okra in circles.  I dipped them in the cornmeal they fried the fish with.  It was coked over the open fire along with the fish.  Thank you God for the gentle nudge to go over to the kitchen.  Words cannot describe how blessed I was this day.
As lunch time was drawing near we started making the plates.  We asked how many folks wanted okra with their fish.  We started out with nine, then two more please then another plate with okra please until 75% of the folks, North American and Hondurans were all eating okra.  As the batch was getting low the women shared to be sparing with the portions of okra because they wanted some too.  See all of us had been nibbling all morning on the fresh hot fried okra and my ladies loved the fried okra.  They asked me would I go to their fields one day and teach everyone how to fry okra.  All I could do was chuckle and think God this is definitely out of my comfort zone, me teaching Honduran women how to cook. The Honduran ladies are the best cooks in the entire world.  There is nothing they cook that is not so delicious.  I am grateful today to be a part of a huge blessing.




No comments:

Post a Comment