Thursday, April 25, 2019

Do You Like Okra?


Each day this team makes it way about an hour on a road leading to their project in Orocuina.  As they travel each day they pass by acres and acres of okra being harvested at this time.  There are some fields where they are replanting but a majority of the fields have lots and lots of okra.  Interesting story behind the okra is the Honduran people pick this okra for about eight or so hours a day for about $5.00 a day in pay.  Yet they do not eat the okra themselves.  It is all exported to the United States for selling in our local grocery stores.  It is humbling for me because I love to eat okra when I get to go home to visit my family.  I honestly did not understand how strenuous and hot this job of picking okra is for my friends here in Honduras until I rode by the fields not once this past week but three times I experienced the labor which goes into my bowl of friend okra at the local restaurants.  The black structure is an area of shade for the workers where they share in cokes during their breaks.  Mike says it is made out of some type of pipe used for construction work.  They recycle everything they have here to use for their better.  We assume they pick by the pound according to their $5.00 pay per day.  Next time you eat okra remember those who work in 100 plus degree weather probably seven days a week just for our enjoyment of fried okra or stewed okra, just remember please you are also helping feed one of these workers family as well.  Because if they are picking okra they are working a job which is also rare in the country of Honduras.  Employment rate is quiet high here.  So thank you everyone who eats okra which could be exported right here in a town called Orocuina.


No comments:

Post a Comment